Wheat belly is the concept introduced by Dr. William Davis that propagates the elimination of wheat from your diet to lose weight. Dr. William Davis is a cardiologist and has had a number of patients who were overweight and wanted to control their risk of heart disease. In his bestselling book…
Two Nutritious Vegetable Casserole Recipes
Here are two amazing vegetable casserole recipes that are nutritious, easy to prepare, and quick to make.
Cheesy Potato Casserole (Makes 8-10 servings)
- 2 ½ tbsp. canola oil,
- 1 cup red bell pepper (diced),
- 1 cup onion (diced),
- 1 bag hash browns (southern-style),
- ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper,
- 1 2/3 cup milk with 2 tbsp. flour added
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese (reduced fat, finely shredded)
- 1 ½ tbsp. butter (melted) and 3 cups of cornflakes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet with oil, sauté bell pepper and onion, for 2 minutes. Add hash browns, cover, and cook for 8 minutes. Add pepper and salt. Mix flour and milk. Add this mixture to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring. Take the pan off the heat and stir in cheese and yogurt. Put all into baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Put cornflakes in a bowl, add melted butter, and mix thoroughly. Spread the cornflakes on top of the potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for half hour.
Creamed Onion Casserole
- 1 tbsp. butter, and 1 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet
- 6 cups onion (vertically sliced)
- 4 cups leeks (thinly sliced)
- ¾ tsp. salt and 1 tbsp. thyme (chopped and fresh), ½ tsp. pepper, ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup panko (whole wheat)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a heated pan, add in oil and butter. Add leeks, onion, and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes while stirring. Add salt, cover and put on medium low. Cook another 15 minutes while stirring. Add wine and boil. Cook another 5 minutes. Mix flour and milk in bowl, add nutmeg and pepper, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 5 minutes. Place mixture in a greased glass baking dish and add panko on top. Spray the top with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.