Wheat belly is the concept introduced by Dr. William Davis that propagates the elimination of wheat from your diet to lose weight. Dr. William Davis is a cardiologist and has had a number of patients who were overweight and wanted to control their risk of heart disease. In his bestselling book…
What is a gluten-free diet?
Gluten is a protein which is not found in meat or eggs. Instead, gluten is found in grains such as wheat, rye, malt, barley etc. A gluten-free diet means avoiding these grains. A gluten-free diet needs to be followed by people who are allergic to gluten or who have celiac disease. Celiac disease occurs after the intake of gluten, which causes damage to the small intestine.
People who are on a gluten-free diet need to follow some rules while they shop - read the labels on the food items or simply do “Gluten-Free Shopping”:
● Gluten-free foods are available in the market and it includes bread, pasta, cereals, and crackers.
● Fresh vegetables, eggs, meat, poultry, cheese are naturally gluten-free and can be added to the daily diet.
● Quinoa, teff, amaranth, polenta, buckwheat, corn, millet, and tapioca are also grains naturally gluten-free.
● Spaghetti, macaroni, shells, and spirals are to be avoided and look out for pasta made from rice, corn, or quinoa.
● Corn and rice-based cereals are available in the market for breakfast.
● Popcorn can be munched on instead of other snacks containing gluten.
● Instead of having chicken, fish, and beef with bread, opt for lean meats - without any additives.
● Specialty bakeries can provide custom-ordered gluten-free cakes, pies etc.
● Beer contains barley malt, so instead, so choose wine and liquors occasionally.
● Check labels for gluten-free frozen veggies, fruits, cheese spreads, and yogurts.
● Pasta sauces, gravies, and stocks in the market contain gluten; instead, make them at home.
● Experiment in the kitchen by using gluten-free flours and baking items.
● Use a separate bag to store the gluten-free bread.
Gluten-free meals can be delicious and healthy and by making positive changes to your diet, it will make an enormous improvement to your health.